Grants and in-kind support to Ohio education authorities, certified prevention providers, and ADAMH boards to assign coordinators in schools throughout the state. The purpose of funding is to support coordinators in their efforts to provide intervention, prevention, and treatment services to K-12 students.
The Ohio School Wellness Initiative was designed to explore, implement, and sustain a full continuum of care including prevention, early intervention, and treatment practices for K-12 students within local districts who adopt Student Assistance Programs (SAP), multi-tiered systems of support, and staff wellness frameworks. The cornerstone of the OSWI is the development of an Ohio Model SAP that can serve as a best practice standard for Ohio's K-12 schools.
OhioMHAS is seeking requests for information to assist in providing funding opportunities to local ADAMH boards, local education authorities, and certified prevention providers interested in participating in the Ohio School Wellness Initiative by embedding a Behavioral Health and Wellness Coordinator (BHW Coordinator) in an identified school. The expectation is that local ADAMH Boards, local education authorities, and certified prevention providers will engage in a collaborative partnership to plan, onboard, support, and sustain the BHW Coordinator. OhioMHAS plans to support up to 17 new BHW Coordinator positions across the state.
Local ADAMHS Board and Certified Prevention Provider will be responsible for ensuring performance on the following deliverables:
- Identify source and provide match funding in the amount of $50,000.00 per year. (Examples of potential funding sources could be school Student Wellness and Success and Disadvantaged Pupil Impact Aid funds, levy dollars, prevention federal block grant and general revenue funds, foundation funding.)
- Adopt the Ohio School Wellness Initiative including the Ohio Model Student Assistance Program and the BHW Coordinator position.
- Support the BHW Coordinator with improving access and availability of evidence-based behavioral health promotion, prevention, and early intervention practices within the school setting.
- Support efforts to plan, implement, and sustain a Student Assistance Program and staff wellness framework within the partner school.
- Collaborate to develop position description based on the BHW guide.
- Develop a sustainability plan for the BHW Coordinator position.
- Participate in meetings with Miami University as requested.
- Ensure the BHW Coordinator is participating in the community of practices facilitated by Miami University’s regional technical assistance team through the Mental Health Network for Success.
- Ensure there is ongoing communication between the partners and the BHW Coordinator.
- Engage with the Ohio School Wellness Initiative Evaluation Team to provide data measuring the impact.
- Create a plan and identify funding for sustaining the BHW Coordinator position.
As part of the Ohio Department of Mental Health & Addiction Services support of School Behavioral Health & Wellness Coordinators, Miami University's Center for School-Based Mental Health Programs (CSBMHP) will establish and support Learning Communities for all Coordinators and their partners (including local ADAMHS Boards). In addition, the CSBMHP will offer technical assistance to Coordinators, as needed.